Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Red Pepper Cheese rolls

I finally perfected this recipe, which is basically a cinnamon bun, but with cheese and red pepper flakes instead of gooey sugar mix.  For the dough, I used the ciabatta mix in the same pdf I used for baguettes, but with some changes, so the ingredient list reads:

Biga:  180g bread flour, 225ml water, 1/4 tsp yeast
Bread: Biga, 100g whole wheat flour, 80g bread flour, 80ml warm water, 1.5tsp salt, 1 tsp yeast, 1tsp sugar, 1tb milk powder, 2tb olive oil

The big was quickly mixed and left overnight under a damp towel.
The next morning I first dissolved the sugar in the warmed water, and sprinkled the yeast on top.  Then I added everything else to the Biga.  The yeast/water/sugar mix followed after 10min, and I set the bread machine on "dough".

This took me up to the equivalent of the end of the first rise, at which point I upended the dough onto an oiled silpat, and using my oiled hands, gently spread/pulled it into a 8x12 in rectangle.  The first time I did this, I rolled it out, which did not work nearly as well as a very gentle shaping, which preserves the large air bubbles.

Ok, at that point you just layer cheese and red pepper flakes (or the filling of your choice) gently on the dough and roll it up, cut into 6 pieces, and right them onto the silpat/parchment paper/ what have you.  Lastly, I sprayed them with a thin mist of oil from my Misto and a little water as well, to keep them from drying out during the 1 hour second rise.  (I also covered them with a sheet of parchment paper, but I think this retarded vertical rising.)

After this, I sprinkled on some Parmesan cheese and baked at 425 for 25-30min. (I re-misted them right before putting in the oven.)

They are very delicious, but the crust looses some of its crunch if stored in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Suggestions?