Monday, June 4, 2012

Insalata Caprese

Unlike most posts here, which I write so that I can remember how to make food, this post in being written to share my favorite recipe.  I will never forget how to make it because a) it is dead simple and b) I make it 2-3x/month year round.

Insalata caprese is a 3 ingredient, uncooked, dish which means that it is ALL ABOUT ingredient quality.  Flavorless, unripe tomatoes will ruin it, and actual buffalo mozzarella takes it to the next level (for a while our local Costco sold giant tubs of authentic mozzarella buffala for $12.)

Ok, so you have assembled your perfect ingredients which are tomatoes, ovoline mozzarella, and basil leaves.  here is what you do with them:

  • Slice the tomatoes thickly
  • Put salt and pepper directly on the tomatoe (to taste)
  • Slice the ovoline mozzarella more thinly, or in thick slices but cut in half, and place on top.  I usually do 1 ovoline per 2-3 tomatoes
  • drizzle olive oil over this, or, if you have a Misto sprayer you can use that for an even coating
  • top with a basil leaf

Look at that deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Suggestions?